Monday, September 22, 2008

*sigh* Is It Over Yet?

I know I'm not the only one who is sick to death of this circus freak show otherwise known as the "Race For The White House" or any of the other cute titles that it's been given. The truth of the matter is that it should be called "The Great Sham of 2008". Having said this, I can't get enough of it. I watch it and read about it like it's the greatest soap-opera in history. It's got everything...humor, villains, heroes, intricately weaved plots and sub-plots, but no sex scandals. Yet. I'm eagerly awaiting some juicy sex scandal that will rock one of the parties to the ground. Oh wait, maybe we can use the Republican VPs daughter's dilemma for that aspect. Ok, so it's got everything. The sad thing about this, is that it's not going to change a damn thing. It doesn't matter who wins this election. Nothing is going to get better, and certainly nothing is going to change. Maybe change for the worse, but even that's a stretch. No matter who wins this election, things will remain the same. The economy is going to continue to slump, and the foreign affairs will stay the same.

I am NOT for Obama, nor am I for McCain. I will vote however, because I can, but I will vote with no enthusiasm, and my usual pessimistic outlook on politics. I like politics for its entertainment value, but I do not believe that anything is going to get better in the U.S. Of course I hope I'm proven wrong, but I sincerely doubt it. I'm still amazed at the Americans' list of priorities when it comes to the candidates however. As well as their complete and total ignorance to the news surrounding these candidates as well. Agree or disagree, they both have their outlooks on the economy and plans to deal with it. They both have their views and beliefs on where the country should be going with foreign affairs. Two pretty solid topics that people can follow right? WRONG!!! It seems we Americans are far more concerned with how many houses/cars John McCain owns. Who gives a shit about Obama's plan that would theoretically give tax breaks to families earning less than $250,000 a year? HE DOESN'T WEAR A FLAG PIN!!!!! He has a pastor who had some quotes taken out of context!!! On the other side of the spectrum we know (because he never shuts up about it) that John McCain was a POW for a couple of years. WOW!!! That's certainly something to respect, but seeing as that (according to John) seems to be his major qualification for president. Hell, by that rationale, I could be Director of the FBI because I had my car broken into a couple of years ago.

On a personal side however, it's really kind of an interesting experience watching and reading the coverage while living safely out of the country. It gives me a lot of detachment with my personal emotions towards both candidates. Of course, I'm constantly being asked who do I support, and who I think will win. I always tell whoever asks me who I support, followed by a long diatribe explaining how it doesn't matter anyway who wins this election. If Obama wins, he'll more than likely be another Jimmy Carter, who yes is a great diplomat, but probably won't get much done in his office. He certainly won't be able to change the hearts of politicians in Washington, or follow through with half of the rhetoric he's been spewing for the last year or so. The man can give a great speech and to quote the Daily Show, "whenever Obama speaks, an angel has an orgasm". But who in their right mind truly believes in their heart of hearts that Obama is the magical solution to all the problems gripping the U.S.?
If McCain wins, it'll be another 4 years of the Bush Doctrine, and maybe some other scary things could potentially happen, but again, will it change the face of the U.S.? I don't think so. Will either candidate make it easier for people to get cheaper, more affordable health care? Again, I don't think so. It's all a sham.

What I wish is that people would be as enthusiastic for the local City Council elections, or have huge rallies for a certain person who is running for the School Board. In my humble opinion the local offices and elections are far more important to an individuals day-to-day problems than the presidential election. But sadly, most people don't even know when their local elections, much less who's running. Some bitter people cling to their religion and guns, and others cling to their presidential elections.

Get out and vote people, but don't delude yourself into thinking anything's going to change.

1 comment:

Frank Partisan said...

I'm supporting Cynthia McKinny and Rosa Clemente. Atleast they talk about the right issues.