Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Shocking!!! Scandalous!!! Absurd, and utterly stupid on both sides of the coin!!!

Well, it had to happen. A U.S. soldier is suing the United States Military for religious discrimination. Ironically enough the alleged discrimination is because the gentleman happens to be an Atheist. This is a tricky subject for me because I don't want this to turn into a rant against religion. I happen to be a devout Atheist, and regard religion as an absurd superstition that has been created as a means to control the masses. Just my opinion. On the flip-side however, I realize that religion is a huge part of people's everyday lives, and whether I agree with it or not, I acknowledge this, and accept this. I don't like it, and I hate people bashing me for my beliefs (or lack thereof), especially when I never insult their beliefs directly.

I applaud this soldier's resolve with the lawsuit, especially that he's not suing the government for any money. But I still can't help but wonder: WTF WAS HE THINKING IN THE FIRST PLACE?????????

Again, I know that people just so happen to be very religious. This is not a unique thing in the world. It is a reality. I've never really had any problems with my beliefs, you know why? Because I've kept my f*cking mouth shut about them!!!! It's one thing to have a semi-anonymous blog where I can freely express my beliefs without fear of face to face confrontations. It's not that I'm even afraid of the confrontation, but I frankly am tired of arguing about things such as politics, religion and whatnot.

But I do know that people who are in difficult situations (such as being in a war zone) probably cling very dearly and heavily to their religious beliefs, and again, I ask: WTF do you expect? People are risking their lives every day, and they probably want to believe that if they were going to be killed, their soul is going somewhere after death. Understandable. I disagree, but that's not the point. But still, what is this soldier thinking by spouting out his non-beliefs in a heavily believing organization? I am not saying that he should keep silent or anything, but one must also have common sense. If you say something that is contrary to the group around you, you're going to be extremely alienated. It would be akin to going to a Vegan rally wearing leather pants and eating a big mess of ribs. You think you're not going to be discriminated against or alienated?

All that being said, I do respect his convictions, because nobody wants to have to deal with a bunch of snide remarks about your beliefs. On either side of the aisle (to coin a phrase), but I just don't think anything is going to come from this lawsuit.

I just wish people would grow the Hell up and leave each other alone. I pride myself on my lack of belief in a superstition, but if I met a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, or whatever I certainly wouldn't sneer at them and tell them their an idiotic, superstitious person, who is destined for nothing more than a great dirt nap like everyone else. Nor do I expect to be sneered at and told that I'm an ungrateful Heathan, who is going to burn for all of eternity for turning my face from the true Lord and Savior (or whatever), but sadly I seem to get that quite a bit. Maybe it's my turn to start making fun of others for their beliefs. Another irony is that Gays can't openly serve in the military, yet one can wear their religioun like a badge of honor on their sleeve. I'm so tired of people like this.

2 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

I returned the favor and linked back to you.

I agree with the direction of your post. I'm agnostic on this issue.

luridtraversal said...

Thanks for the linking me!!! I've been reading your blog for quite some time, and I thoroughly enjoy it!!!. Take care.